Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Talk to Her

Bullfighting and an inappropriate relationship between a nurse and a patient in a persistent vegetative state do not sound like a promising combination, neither do they sound like watchable subjects in their own right. Unsurprisingly neither of these central plot themes were mentioned in the blurb I read prior to renting it, since it would probably have put off ninety per cent of viewers. That being said it is a tragic, disturbing and puzzling film which has several surprises, many challenges for the viewer and leaves many plot questions unanswered from start to finish. I was left wondering again about some of those major questions such as 'what is truth' and 'what is justice' and 'what is life' and 'what is a price worth paying' and 'is taking up ballet or bullfighting ever a good idea'. I won't say anymore though in case others want to watch it without spoilers. I haven't made my mind up about the script and plot, and neither am I sure how I'm left feeling. Because it was skillfully unsettling I will give it a six, though I cannot tell whether the score would go up or down over time as yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home